Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Compassion Feels Good

It’s not hard to see why I have a bit more of an interest in getting folks to think about signing up to be organ donors.  I’m kinda going to need one of these days.    
And so do a whole bunch of other folks, 120,801 are waiting today, right this very minute, according to the United Network of Organ Sharing.
People ask me quite often, ‘So what’s the deal…why have you been waiting 21 months?’  But it’s not like we can go down to Wal Mart and pick up a 22 year old O+ blood type heart, defect and disease free….the Ironman Triathlete Pro Edition.  Man, wouldn’t that be awesome.
But that isn’t how it works.  About a hundred things have to perfectly align to be the one to finally get THE CALL.  And it ALL starts with people agreeing to be organ donors when they die.   Not enough people are doing that right now.  No Donors=No Calls.   Simple as that.
Fortunately, more and more people do indeed get that call every single day, and I am sooo happy for them.  But on average 18 of us won’t make it to see tomorrow…they’ll never get that call.  And that stinks.
So it behooves me (ha…behooves…I love that word)…it behooves me to try to get more people to consider organ donation.   I don’t want to be one of the 18.  Ever.
I think about ways to do that all the time.  And it’s been hard, for me, because it seems kinda selfish in a way to ask for something so personal as one of your organs for goodness sakes.  
But I know people like to feel good…and the whole notion of ‘what’s in it for me’ certainly is part of the equation too.
So I was thinking about how people rally around each other in times of natural disaster.  Think of the thousands and thousands of folks who filled sandbags during floods here in Iowa in 2008 or the tornadoes that wreak havoc seemingly on a weekly basis…and the whole town practically shows up with chain saws and baloney sandwiches.  Or the farmers who help their cancer stricken neighbor harvest those last 30 acres before the snow flies.  And there are countless others examples, the point is you really do see the best in the human spirit when your fellow man is up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

To me, all that help is just…compassion. And it feels good to help out when and how we can….to show a bit of compassion for the plight of others once in a while is a good thing.  Heck, I think it’s just about the best thing you can do, and one of the best feelings you can have!

Compassion…feels…good.

So my approach from here on out I think is gonna be to remind people of all the times they have either been the one who showed a bit of compassion, or better yet, been on the receiving end of a little compassion.   And how did that feel?  I bet it felt good.

Compassion.  Feels.  Good.

That’s all organ donation is.  Compassion for your fellow man.  And a chance to feel good about knowing you are going to help someone even when you think you no longer can.    But the kicker is…every single day, from the day you become a registered donor...you can tap into that good feeling knowing you are doing what you can.  And we all like to feel good right?

COMPASSION FEELS GOOD!

pssst...you can register today at www.donatelife.net

2 comments: