Tuesday, October 14, 2014

One In A Million...Just Like Me

Facebook, and the rest of social media, have connected me with some amazing folks from all over the world. Many who share my same heart defect, Transposition of the Great Arteries, and who have had the groundbreaking surgery, The Mustard Procedure, and at roughly the same time...in the late mid to late 60's and early 70's, and some who are currently on the heart transplant list themselves, or have already had a heart transplant.  

I find that AMAZING.  And the almost daily interations with these folks are HUGELY important in my journey right now...and probably always will be.  Well, not probably...It's always going to be important to me...and that's a guarentee.


As different as we are in some ways, this heart disease has a way to binding us together in ways few can fully understand.  A lot of these folks I have never met in person, but I am honored to know them just the same, and equally honored to call them my friend.


Heart disease, and especially heart defects that we are born with, have a way of bringing out the best of us..if we let it.  The compassion and empathy this group has for others in similar shoes is nothing short of amazing.  It's inspirational.  It's motivational.  It's life saving. It's just frickin awesome!  

I know I speak for many survivors of heart defects and related surgeries that it brings a tear to our eye to see little ones still being born with this defect, but at the same time knowing that there is hope.   This is always hope.  Folks in there 30's, 40's, and 50's just out there livin life...just cause that's what we do.  We live each day with knowing where we have been, what we have overcome, and what we are capable of overcoming.

And to the extent that our collective well-being, positive outlook, meaningful advice, and feedback is an inspiration to others who have come, and will continue to come, after us 'old timers'...well it's just very humbling.  


I'm told almost everyday now that I am am inspiration to someone.  And I take that to heart, and it really does keep me going.   I know many of us feel the same way.  So thank you for that. Seriously, it really does mean more than you could ever imagine.  


Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.  






So whether your across the state here in Iowa, or in another part of the United States, or in Canada, or England, or Australia, or New Zealand or anywhere else in the world. I just want to say you're awesome.  




Thanks for not giving up on yourself, on me, on others just like us, and on the future.  Your kindness and well wishes have gotten me to where I am today...and will get me through to a new heart and beyond.    






No comments:

Post a Comment